As a researcher, what better way to share your work with the academic community than publishing it in a prestigious journal? However, this is easier said than done. Acceptance rates for leading journals are low, and researchers must work hard to get their work up to the stringent standards required by top journals in order to get published. Fortunately, English editing tools such as Paperpal can help simplify the academic writing process and improve the chances of manuscript publishing success.
Once a paper has been submitted to the journal, it undergoes a desk review, where it is assessed to see if it meets the journal criteria. If a journal editor finds any weaknesses in its validity, readability, or relevance, it is desk rejected and returned to the author. Unfortunately, this happens more often than not. Over 90% of manuscripts submitted to top journals are rejected,1 and desk rejections range as high as 50-80% of submissions across various fields.2
Reasons for desk rejection range from a lack of originality and poor research paper structure to avoidable spelling, punctuation, and grammar issues. These all impact the clarity and purpose of the paper in the eyes of the reader, making it harder to demonstrate the value of your research to the industry’s most discerning editors and peer reviewers.
We developed Paperpal to overcome these issues. Our tools help researchers improve their chances of publishing success, by reducing the likelihood their paper will be rejected due to English language errors.
What are Paperpal’s AI tools?
- Paperpal for Word: Our efficient language tool for Word provides real-time writing assistance to simplify the writing process. It uses state-of-the-art machine learning and AI to present you with spelling, grammar, punctuation, style and readability suggestions while you write.
- Paperpal for Web: Our real-time online editor and smart writing assistant is available for those who do not use Microsoft or want to conduct quick checks for short text. Just start writing or paste your text in the browser to get instant feedback for free!
- Paperpal for Manuscript: This AI tool is perfect for those who have a finished document or manuscript ready and want to ensure they’ve ticked off all the important items before they submit. Just upload the document and within minutes you will get a downloadable file with errors and suggestions to improve your manuscript writing included as tracked changes.
- Paperpal Preflight: This is an automated web-based tool that detects key language and technical errors when submitting a paper to your target journal. Journals can customize Preflight to include essential checks from their list of guidelines, which ensures your manuscript writing is evaluated against the specific journal’s requirements. This not only helps journals reduce the processing times at the desk evaluation step, it also helps authors ensure they are submitting the best version of their work.
How can Paperpal help me edit my paper?
Getting your paper past desk checks and accepted for peer review means delivering a paper that presents novel and significant findings and getting your written language, structure, and format spot-on.
Luckily, Paperpal can help with the latter. It is more than just a spelling or grammar check ― it offers substantive language corrections and is tailored to academic writing conventions and structure. Unlike standard English editing tools, Paperpal is designed for academic writing. It preserves technical entities likes equations, abbreviations, and citations, so you can ensure your paper is technically accurate.
It is a comprehensive AI writing assistant that can help you rewrite complex sentences, as well as improve vocabulary and overall readability by optimizing your research paper. In fact, in a study of seven automated English language tools, Paperpal was found to be among the most appealing and useful for researchers.3
How can Paperpal improve my chances of publishing success?
Using Paperpal’s suite of AI tools can help you minimize the risk of desk rejection, and improve your chances of publishing success by:
- Evaluating your paper against a journal’s requirements (Preflight): This will help you pass all the necessary technical checks and criteria when submitting to a journal.
- Removing basic language errors: Flagging and fixing typos, grammar and style errors, and issues with flow ― all problems that can lead to desk rejection. This means you’re more likely to quickly pass the first stage of checks and proceed to peer review.
- Extensive language recommendations: Comprehensive recommendations on how to fix sentences that may be perceived as problematic by journal editors and peer reviewers.
- Providing tailored language feedback: Paperpal is designed with academic writing in mind. This means that you can benefit from discipline-specific feedback, bringing your work closer to what the journals expect.
Ready to join the academic writing revolution? Try out Paperpal’s AI writing tools now!
- Goldfinch, K. Yamamoto. Peer review, refereeing and their discontents: a failed model or simply the least worst option? Prometheus Assessed? Research Measurement, Peer Review, and Citation Analysis. ScienceDirect, 2012. Retrieved from https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9781843345893500033
- Harzing, A.W. How to avoid a desk-reject in seven steps. Harzing.com, 2020. Retrieved from: https://harzing.com/blog/2020/05/how-to-avoid-a-desk-reject-in-seven-steps
- Alexopoulou, D., 2022. Comparison of Automated English Editing Tools. University of Cambridge.